There’s a little for everyone in this list, whether you’re having a cold salads and seafood affair or a more traditional roasted things affair there’s a vegetarian side here to keep everyone happy. This little vegetarian sides list is to help keep that dining table in balance on Christmas day. All the meat and protein is delicious but impressive sides make the meal. The sides are a great opportunity to sneak the vegetables in!
You could actually make a few of these to add to your spread. I would usually choose a hot side and a cold side such as a salad, if you’ve got loads of people you could even go more than that. I’ve included notes on what they’ll work well with.
I hope you’re holiday planning is going oh so well and you’re looking forward to celebrating with family and friends – have fun!
1. Roasted Za’Atar Pumpkin with Blue Cheese Dressing – this would be ideal with any roast poultry you might be having but it’s also satisfying enough to fill up vegetarian guests.
2. Haloumi, Zucchini, Tomato and Pearl Coucous salad – for the more modern meal and especially for those of us in Asutralia that might want to be keeping things cool in the kitchen – this salad has all the right colours!
3. Spicy Baked Potatoes with Aged Cheddar and Chimichurri – these baked potatoes are excellent with glazed ham or really anything you’re putting on the table, also great if you’re doing beef as that sauce would work well with that too.
4. Roasted Broccoli with Pine Nuts and Feta – so much yum, an easy way to dress up an simple vegetable and make it more fancy. Super easy to do too.
5. Zucchini and Avocado Salad – This salad is beautiful to look at and full of flavour, would be wonderful with a glazed ham.
6. Sticky Slow Roasted Sweet Potato – it’s the perfect day to make something like this that takes time, great with roast poultry.
7. Mint Beetroot and Green Bean Salad – this salad just looks so festive and works well with any holiday spread.
8. Miso Butter Glazed Asparagus – another simple way to dress up your greens lovely with both glazed ham and turkey.
9. Grilled Apricot, Thyme and Goats Cheese Salad – a very pretty salad that works well with turkey and ham
10. Roast Carrots with Tahini Yoghurt Sauce – this is a simple way to dress up roast carrots and make them a little special with minimum fuss.
11. Roasted Cauliflower and Kale Salad with Lemony Zucchini and Golden Haloumi – any excuse to have some haloumi on the table.