Despite me posting a curry recipe yesterday and complaining about the lack of Spring weather… it’s getting sunny this weekend and that means it’s time to get pumped about salads.
That sentence probably makes me a total loser but I’m gonna own it. I love a salad. And salads don’t need to be a boring bowl of lettuce that you can’t make friends with. They should have loads of flavour, texture and colour and make you want to go back for more.
Salads are also a great way to get a few extra servings of veg in your day as they are basically just a big mix of vegetables in a bowl with other stuff added for goodness. That other stuff could be a protein, legume, cheese crispy wontons (OMG yes!), nuts etc and that’s the stuff that takes a salad from ‘you don’t make friends with salad’ territory to winning the popularity contest. And remember every cup of salad vegetables (the uncooked variety) equals a serve of veg so load your bowl up!
This is a little round up of my current favourites so this weekend get your mouth around some of these or make them for your lunches next week or even your cup day BBQ or carpark spread (Melbournians will know what I’m on about). I actually totally forgot about Cup day being next Tuesday until writing that sentence. As my birthday always falls in Melbourne Cup week this is kind of odd. I blame the distractions of my best friends wedding last week and public holidays not being something I long for now that I mostly work for myself. But happy public holiday for a sporting event to all you Victorians!!
- Zucchini and Avocado Salad: This is super delicious by itself or the perfect thing to have as part os a spread at a BBQ or picnic.
- Wasabi, Avocado, Edamame and Grapefruit Noodle Salad: As above this noodle salad can be eaten alone,or add some prawns or shredded chicken to it.
- Mexican Rainbow Salad: Super filling thanks to the quinoa and black beans and it looks great too.
- Crispy Crunchy Chicken Salad: I don’t even know what to say, I love this chicken! You can even stuff the chicken and salad into fresh bread rolls for a more portable vibe
- Chopped Thai Salad: Another one that’s great by itself or as part of a BBQ spread
- Easy Lentil Salad: My go to simple lunch
- Beetroot and Bean Salad with Feta: Easy to make and looks so pretty
- Rainbow Noodle Salad: All the colours, flavours
- Loaded Chicken Salad: fresh and full of flavour and texture, this one is definitely a stand alone meal